Navigation

Mama Cooks: Salmon, Asparagus and Pea Spaghetti

Thursday, 11 July 2013

Recently I've been trying out different recipes using salmon as its important for Oliver to regularly get oily fish in his diet. One of my favourites, which I've made in bulk and frozen, is Annabel Karmel's Salmon in Orange and Cheddar Sauce (a weird combination that works!)  However, I've been trying to create some recipes which I can make for all three of us, and came up with this spaghetti dish.


I have explained how to make it for adults, and then added how you can make small changes so its suitable for children and babies too.

Ingredients

  • Salmon fillets 

I'd say one medium fillet per adult, go large if you want extra for a baby, or add an extra half fillet for a toddler

  • Spaghetti 

We normally have 180g between us so I rounded up to 200g for Ollie's portion

  • Bunch of asparagus
  • Large handful of frozen peas
  • Milk and Cream cheese

I used full fat for both as we were feeding this to Ollie (any excuse!) Obviously semi-skimmed and low-far versions are better if you're not including a baby! 

  • Green pesto from a jar
  • Lemon juice
  • Seasoning and olive oil
  • Grated parmesan to serve


Method

1. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a little olive oil and your spaghetti. Add salt if not cooking for a baby. 

2. Return the pasta to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and add the frozen peas.

3. Prepare the asparagus and either steam or boil it.

4. Meanwhile, skin the salmon and remove any visible bones. Put in a microwavable dish and pour over some milk so it is about 2/3s immersed. (Season with salt and pepper if not including a baby).

5. Cover the dish with clingfilm, puncture some air holes and microwave for 1 minute per fillet.

6. When the pasta and asparagus is done, drain both, roughly chop the cooked asparagus and add to the pasta.

7. Remove the salmon from the dish and keep the milk it has cooked in. Flake the salmon, checking for bones.

8. Re-add a little milk to the flaked salmon until it has a smooth and creamy consistency. You can add as much or as little as you like, but I don't like it too 'wet'.

9. Combine the salmon with the pasta and vegetables.

10. Add a generous dollop of cream cheese and sprinkling of parmesan. Stir through.

At this point, I took a portion for Ollie out of the pan. I then mashed it up for him and he loved it! He is eating quite chunky textures now, but you could easily blend this for a smaller baby.

11. With the remaining spaghetti and sauce, stir through green pesto to taste and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. You could leave it as it is but this gives it a lot more flavour and the pesto goes really well with salmon and peas I think.  I prefer to do this step after I've set aside Ollie's portion as the pesto sauce has salt in it and is very oily.

I hope that all made sense and was easy to follow!

I really love cooking for Ollie and want to post more recipes but a lot of meals I've made I've photographed and they just look revolting on camera! One of his favourites is a beef casserole I did in the slow cooker, but you can imagine what mashed up beef casserole resembles...

What is your favourite thing to cook for the whole family? And do you have any other good salmon recipes? You can see my Easy Peasy Salmon Fishcakes here and all my other recipes here.

x

P.S. Thank you so much for all the support from my last post. I survived my first day at work, and there will be a blog post about it next week, naturally. xxx


2 comments:

  1. I do the same as you, round up recipe weights so that N can have some! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so quick and easy isn't it! I was worried I wouldn't have time to make Ollie fresh food but its great that he can eat what we eat xxx

      Delete

I would so love to hear back from you!
Feel free to leave your links so I can come and read your blog too :)
xxx

Newer posts Older posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...